Tuesday 24 November 2009

Todays lecture/tutorial focused on using an application that I have never used before called Zoho Creator. Zoho allows the user to create a database online, then use a code generator to make the system much more advanced and also meet user requirements. Zoho Creator is a very simple package that allows the creator to build simple databases (up until the coding is incorporated).

The advantage of using Zoho Creator is that it already had all the layout, templates and colour schemes built into the online system, therefore creating the basics and also a professionally styled interface is very easy. All of these features are found as templates which can be selected from the "Customize" tab which is located towards the top of the page. It is likely that if required, coding could be entered into the Script View to make the layout even more professional, but due to the fact that today was the first time I and many others in the class had used the software, we stuck to the basic layouts already embedded into the system.

The coding aspect within Zoho Creator was much harder for me personally, and I struggled to get an exact copy of the coding which I should have recieved compared to the result I actually got. Instead of having to write the code for the system though, Zoho Creator generates all the code manually via the use of tabs along the left hand side of the page which can be added onto the screen. For me personally, I dont like to write code, although if required, the Code View allows pure code to be written, and from here it will be automatically converted into buttons and other features within the User View.

As mentioned earlier, today was the first time I have used Zoho, and it looks like quite a basic application to use, apart from having to create/edit code. If I need to create a simple database that isnt based for a large professional company, then I may use Zoho Creator to store the data inside this application, although due to my knowledge of using Microsoft Access, I still think I will use this piece of software, due to the professional features that can be incorporated - although saying that Zoho Creator impressed me vastly today due its simpleness and easiness for creating a basic database system. The range of features available within Zoho Creator were quite advanced too, as the system allows me to include:
  • Single Line Fields
  • Multiple Line Fields
  • Phone Numbers
  • E-Mail Addresses
  • Option Fields (Favourite Color - Red OR Green OR Blue etc.)
  • Date/Time
  • Number

All of these features should be useful for me to create a simple but effective database, which meets a high standard.

Despite the fact that this application is very easy to create, when it comes to entering the information, all entries have to be entered manually. As a result, this takes a very long time to do, therefore entering information takes a very long time and as a result this isnt a professional approach for either a company/individual to use, due to its time cocsumption. In the future, if I were feeling more confident with coding, I may use Zoho to base my case study around, although due to the fact that this application relies heavily on code creation/editing, then I think I will give this application a miss.

Below is an image of a sample view I created throughout the second Zoho Creator Tutorial:

No comments:

Post a Comment